Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Saturday, March 1, 2014

Slow-Cooker Chipotle Beef Chili


The Wheel of Meals landed on Comfort Food

What is more comforting on a cold snowy day than chili?!   This recipe is a definite keeper.  I really liked the flavor and the gentle kick from the chipotle peppers and there was a good meat-to-bean ratio.   I made half the batch in the slow cooker and froze the other half for another time.  This was the first recipe we tried from my March Freezer Meal Madness.

Chipotle Beef Chili
Recipe from Eating Light Magazine
Makes 10 servings;  325 calories/serving

Ingredients:
3 cans (15 oz) various beans (I used red, black, and pinto)
1 can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (only use 2 chiles plus sauce)
1 can (28 oz) diced fire-roasted tomatoes
1 medium green bell pepper, diced
1 large onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2-3 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1" chunks
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
salt and pepper
shredded cheese (optional)
sour cream (optional)
chopped cilantro (optional)

Directions:
In colander, drain beans and rinse well.

Remove 2 chipotle chiles from can and finely chop.  Place in a large bowl with 1 tablespoon of adobo sauce.  Add tomatoes, bell pepper, onions, and garlic; mix well.

In another bowl, combine beef chunks, cumin, oregano, and a pinch of salt and pepper.

In a crockpot, spread 1/2 of the tomato mixture.  Add the beef, then the beans, then the remaining tomato mixture.  Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours or 8-10 hours on low.

Stir additional adobo sauce into chili if desired.  Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, and/or chopped cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment