Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Friday, January 27, 2017

Venison Chili


We had some ground venison in our freezer to use, so I thawed it out to make this chili recipe I found online.  I liked it.  I couldn't detect any gaminess from the venison.  I would have assumed it was ground beef.   The chili had just enough heat for my taste and it was hearty and perfect for a cold winter evening.  I served it with a cornbread muffin.  Yum.

Venison Chili
Serves 4

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 tablespoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound ground venison
1 (~15oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed (or any red chili bean)
1 (~15oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (~15oz) can tomato puree
shredded cheese, sour cream, scallions, or whatever you like

Directions:
Heat oil in a large stock pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.  Add onions, bell pepper, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.  Cook until veggies are soft, about 5 minutes.  Stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds.

Add venison and cook, breaking up clumps with a spoon, until the venison is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.

Stir in the beans, tomatoes, and tomato puree.  Lower heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 30 minutes.   Remove lid and continue to simmer another 30 minutes.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serve with whatever toppings you like with your chili.

No comments:

Post a Comment