Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Monday, March 10, 2014

Baked Ziti Freezer Meal



This ziti was REALLY good.  This was Recipe #3 we tried from my March Freezer Meal Madness (entire day that I spent preparing make-ahead freezable meals).   The only problem was that it wasn't completely thawed when I baked it, so it took twice as long to heat.  But once we finally got it cooked, the flavors were awesome.  I added a grated zucchini to the sauce for extra veggie content as if that made up for all the cheesy goodness.


Baked Ziti
Recipe from Sixsistersstuff.com
Makes 2 pans of ziti (4-6 servings in each pan)

Ingredients:
1 pound dry ziti or penne pasta
1 large onion, chopped
1 pound lean ground beef (season with pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and minced garlic)
2 (26 oz) jars pasta sauce
1 zucchini, grated on the large holes of a cheese grater
8 slices provolone cheese
1&1/2 cups sour cream
6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.  Add pasta and cook until al dente; drain.

In a large skillet, brown onion and ground beef over medium heat.  Add spaghetti sauce and zucchini, and simmer 15 minutes.


Layer as follows in each of two 8x8" pans:
1/4 of the ziti
1/4 of the sauce
4 slices of Provolone cheese
1/2 of the sour cream
remaining ziti
1/4 mozzarella cheese
remaining sauce
Top with grated Parmesan and remaining mozzarella cheese.

Bake, covered, for 30 minutes in a preheated 350º oven until cheese are melted.  Remove cover and bake 10 more minutes.

If freezing, follow assembly, but cover and store in freezer before baking. Thaw completely in fridge overnight otherwise you may need at least twice the baking time.   Check internal temp with a thermometer to ensure the center is fully heated.




No comments:

Post a Comment