Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Monday, March 17, 2014

Anne's Lucky Chard Pancakes



Here's my St. Patrick's Day breakfast--green pancakes.  They taste better than they look, I promise-- just like regular pancakes, but with extra nutrition!   I used chard and kale because that's what I had on hand, but you could substitute spinach.

Anne's Lucky Chard (and Kale) Pancakes
Made 8 good-sized pancakes

Ingredients:
1 bunch chard (I used rainbow chard)
1-2 fistfuls of kale
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 cup buttermilk (I substituted skim milk mixed with 1/2 tablespoon vinegar)
1 egg
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted

Directions:
Place chard and kale and a sprinkle of water in a skillet over medium heat.  Cover and heat until just wilted.  Let cool, then transfer to a food processor to chop or puree.

In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.  In a medium bowl, combine the milk, egg, butter, and greens until frothy.  Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth and combined.  

Grease a preheated skillet over medium-low heat and drop about 1/3 cup batter to make pancakes.  Cook for 3-4 minutes on the first side until bottom is browned and bubbles appear on the surface.  Flip and cook for another minute or two.

Serve with normal pancake toppings and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment