Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Crockpot Chicken and Zucchini "Pasta" with Asparagus, Peas, and Creamy Basil


I've heard a lot of good things about crockpot chicken, so I decided to try it out.  I found this recipe online which boasted to be the best crockpot chicken ever.   Hmmph.  It was okay, but I thought it needed more seasoning and more moisture.  It was pretty bland. I'm thinking I should have put the breast side down instead of up so that it absorbed more juices from the pot?  Oh well.  

The zucchini "pasta", on the other hand, was surprisingly good.  I was skeptical, and to be truthful, it didn't taste like spaghetti, but it was still tasty.   To make the spaghetti-like strands, I ran four sides of the zucchini and yellow squash lengthwise on the largest holes of a box cheese grater--much easier and faster than using a vegetable peeler--and cheaper than buying a spiralizer.





Zucchini "Pasta" with Asparagus, Peas, and Creamy Basil
Serves 4


Ingredients:
2 zucchini
1 yellow squash
1 bunch asparagus (16-20 spears), peeled and cut ~1-2 inches below tops
1/2 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon basil paste
1 tablespoon cream cheese
salt and pepper
lemon zest
Parmesan cheese

Directions:

Cut the ends off the zucchini and push lengthwise along the largest holes of a cheese grater until you get to the seeded section.  Repeat on four sides.  You should produce long, thin ribbons of zucchini.  Repeat with the yellow squash.  You can choose to peel the zucchini and squash first if you want it to appear more like spaghetti, but it's not necessary.

In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat, and add the asparagus, peas, and garlic. Lightly saute for a few minutes, then add the zucchini and saute a few minutes longer.  Add the basil and cream cheese and stir until coated. Add salt and pepper to taste.  Serve with a little sprinkle of lemon zest and Parmesan cheese.

******

Crockpot Chicken

Ingredients:
1 whole chicken, giblets removed from inside
1 onion
4 garlic cloves, minced

2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 pats butter
1/2 cup chicken broth

Directions:
Chop the onion and place in the bottom of the slow cooker.   Combine the spices and rub the mixture all over chicken.  Place chicken in slow cooker.   Pour the broth into the pot and place a couple pats of butter on the breast.  Cover, and cook for 4-5 hours on high or 8 hours on low until the chicken is falling off the bone.

No comments:

Post a Comment