Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Monday, September 9, 2013

Curried Carrot Soup


I bought some carrots at the Farmer's Market.  The lady there was kind of funny.  She shoved a piece of carrot at me and enthusiastically proclaimed, "Try it!  Isn't it good?! Very sweet.  We have the best carrots!"  I was thinking to myself that it tasted like any other carrot, but I didn't want to hurt her feelings, so I just smiled and nodded and bought a bunch.  I decided to make a soup that was in my Conscious Cleanse book even though I'm not really doing the cleanse anymore.  I had heard good things about the soup so I gave it a try.  It was okay...something different.  I liked the curry seasoning with the carrots. 

Curried Carrot Soup

Yield: 4 bowls

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons curry powder
5 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
2 medium celery ribs, chopped
1/2 medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped
2-3 cups chicken broth
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper
nutmeg

Directions:
In a stock pot over medium heat, cook oil and curry powder, stirring, for 2 minutes.  Stir in carrots, celery, and onion; toss to coat and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.  Stir in broth and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.  Skim grease from top if necessary.  

In a blender, working in batches of no more than 2 cups, purée soup.  Return to pot and heat through.  Season with lemon juice, salt, and pepper.  Add nutmeg if desired.  Serve.   Refrigerate leftover soup in a glass container for up to 3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment