Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Monday, January 30, 2017

Shrimp & Kohlrabi Tortilla Soup


I'm pretty sure I haven't cooked with kohlrabi before.  In this recipe, the kohlrabi strips take the place of traditional tortilla strips as the crunchy aspect.   I liked the soup, especially the shrimp and avocados.  Next time, I'd cut back on the broth by a cup or two because it slightly watered down the soup.  Still tasty though--and really fast to make for a quick lunch.  The prep takes longer than the actual cooking.

Shrimp & Kohlrabi Tortilla Soup
from Inspiralize Everything
Serves 4 to 6

Ingredients:
1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large jalapeno, seeded and diced
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 (15oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 avocado, sliced
juice of 2 small limes
1 cup roughly chopped cilantro leaves
1 medium kohlrabi, peeled and spiralized into thin, short strips (or use a cheese grater)
salt and pepper

Directions:
Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat.  Add the onions and cook for about 3 minutes until softened.  Add in the garlic and jalapeno and cook another 30 seconds.  Stir in the chili powder, oregano, cumin, and paprika.

Add the broth, tomatoes, and beans to the pot.  Increase heat to high and bring to boil.  Reduce heat to low and add the shrimp, avocado, and lime juice.  Simmer for 5 minutes until the shrimp are pink and cooked through.

Stir in the cilantro and kohlrabi noodles, season with salt and pepper to taste, and simmer for 1 minute.  Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.

Nutrition:  384 calories, 15g fiber, 36g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment