Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Saturday, January 14, 2017

Veggie and Rice Stuffed Peppers



I saw this recipe from Thug Kitchen and wanted to give it a try as part of my attempt to eat healthier.  Veggies stuffed in a veggie--why not? The original recipe can be found at Thug Kitchen if you want the funny foul-mouthed version.  It called for grilling, but it's too cold and snowy to grill, so I baked mine in the oven instead and then sprinkled on some optional feta and crumbled cooked bacon and broiled it for a couple minutes longer.   I liked the salty addition of the bacon and feta and I'm glad I did that.  Overall, the flavor was good.  I was completely full.  Jeremy wished there had been more meat (of course).   I have a lot of leftover bean and rice filling because I only used 2 large peppers, so I might put that in a tortilla or lettuce wrap for lunch the next couple days.

Veggie and Rice Stuffed Peppers
Recipe adapted from Thug Kitchen
Makes 8 half peppers or 4 whole peppers

Ingredients:
4 large bell peppers
1 cup brown Basmati or other long-grain brown rice
1 large tomato
1 large carrot
1 zucchini
1 medium onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
2 cups water
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
4 cloves garlic
juice of 1 lemon
salt and pepper to taste

Bean mixture:
1 can (15oz) any white creamy bean (I used Great Northern Beans)
2 tablespoons chopped onion
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano

crumbled cooked bacon (optional)
crumbled feta cheese (optional)

Directions:
In a food processor, puree the tomato into pulpy juice (makes about 1 cup) and set aside in a small bowl.  Chop the carrot, zucchini, and onion into dime-sized pieces.  Set aside 2 tablespoons of the chopped onion for the bean mixture.  

In a big pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.  Add the rest of the chopped onion (except the 2 tablespoons) and cook about 5 minutes.  Add the carrot, zucchini, oregano, thyme, and paprika and cook for 1 minute.   Add the rice, pureed tomato, water, and a pinch of salt, and bring it to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover the pot, and simmer for 30-40 minutes until water is absorbed and rice is done.

Meanwhile, into the dirty food processor, throw the beans, 2 tablespoons onion, olive oil, vinegar, and oregano.  Process until mostly smooth.

Chop the bell peppers in half (or just chop off the top to stuff deeper) and scrape out the seeds.  Add a couple heaping spoonfuls of the bean mixture into the bottom of each pepper and spread around.  Add spoonfuls of the cooked rice until it is packed in and mounded on top.   Grill at medium-low for 10-15 minutes.  Or-- put the peppers in a glass baking dish and bake at 375º for 30-40 minutes.  If desired, sprinkle some feta cheese and/or bacon on top of the peppers after they have cooked and return to the oven.  Broil for a couple minutes to soften the feta.  Serve warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment