Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Thursday, January 26, 2017

Chicken Cacciatore over Rutabaga Noodles


I'm trying to eat healthier, so I decided to give spiralized rutabaga a try instead of traditional pasta.  The rutabaga has fewer calories, more fiber, more vitamins/minerals, and no gluten.  And it was actually pretty tasty in this dish.  Did it taste exactly like pasta? No, of course not, but it was a close enough substitute that still tasted good and filled me up.  The chicken and veggie sauce was the real star of this recipe.  Delicious.   My only notes: 2 small rutabagas would be plenty for 4 servings, and I'd be careful not to over-salt the noodles before baking.

Chicken Cacciatore over Rutabaga Noodles
from Inspiralize Everything 
Serves 4

Ingredients:
3 small rutabagas, peeled and spiralized into thin spaghetti strands
cooking spray
1 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper
1/2 cup almond flour
1&1/4 lbs skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
2 carrots, diced
1 large red bell pepper, diced
1 medium onion, diced
2 large garlic gloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 (28-oz) can diced tomatoes
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1&1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil (optional)

Directions:
Lay the rutabaga noodles on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (I needed two sheets for all the noodles) and spray them with cooking spray.  Sprinkle with garlic powder and a little salt and pepper.  Bake at 425º for 20 minutes or until al dente.

Meanwhile, season the almond flour with a little salt and pepper and dredge the chicken in the flour, pressing to adhere.  Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and coat with cooking spray.  Add the chicken and cook until browned on the outside, about 5 minutes per side (it won't be cooked through yet).  Transfer to a plate and set aside.

To the skillet, add the carrots, bell pepper, onion, garlic, rosemary, and red pepper flakes.  Season with salt and pepper.  Cook for 5 minutes until the veggies are softened.  Add the wine and simmer until reduced by half, about 5 minutes.  Add the tomatoes and their juices, broth, and oregano.

Return the chicken to the skillet, nestling them into the veggies, and spoon some sauce over the top.  Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.

Transfer the chicken to a plate and add the cooked rutabaga noodles to the skillet, tossing to coat.  Cook for about 2 minutes or until the flavors are melded.  

Divide the rutabaga noodles and veggies among 4 plates and top with the chicken.  Garnish with fresh basil if on hand and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment