Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Saturday, January 28, 2017

Blueberry Phyllo Turnovers



I was craving something sweet and I knew I had blueberries and phyllo sheets taking up space in the freezer.  I decided to google search the combo, and found a few recipes online for strudels and turnovers.  This is my version.  Try to stop yourself from eating more than one.  Wow, they're good-- especially still warm from the oven with a little whipped cream.  Yum.

Blueberry Phyllo Turnovers
Makes 8-10 Turnovers

Ingredients:
3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons arrowroot or cornstarch
1/2 box (1 roll) Phyllo Dough, defrosted
4 tablespoons butter, melted  (or cooking spray if you wanna be healthy)
sugar for sprinkling (optional)

Directions:
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the blueberries, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, lemon juice, and cornstarch.  Cook until blueberries are bubbling, then reduce to low and simmer a couple minutes.  Remove from the heat and let cool completely.

Place a single phyllo sheet on a clean counter and brush the phyllo with melted butter (or spray with cooking spray for a healthier version). Place another phyllo sheet directly on top of the first and brush that with butter too.  Repeat until there are 4 stacked sheets (the top one doesn't need butter).  Use a knife or pizza cutter to cut the stacked sheets in half lengthwise so you have two long rectangles.   Each long rectangle will make 1 turnover.  (Note: Keep phyllo sheets you are not working with under plastic and a damp towel so they don't rip and crumble as you work with them.) 

Place 2 tablespoons of the blueberry mixture on the far end of one of the rectangles, keeping a 1-inch border of phyllo around it.  Fold the dough at a 45º angle to create a triangle over the blueberries.  Repeat again, and continue to fold into triangles, enclosing the blueberries in the dough.  Place seam-side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a Silpat mat.   Repeat steps for the remaining dough until you run out of sheets or blueberries.

If desired, brush the tops of the turnovers with melted butter or cooking spray and sprinkle with sugar.   Bake at 375º for about 15 minutes until golden brown.   Let cool on a wire rack for at least 5-10 minutes before serving.












No comments:

Post a Comment