Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Monday, January 16, 2017

Blueberry Sweet Potato Waffles



Apparently, I'm on a sweet potato craze.  Actually, I had some blueberries in my fridge on the edge of being thrown away, so when I saw this recipe in the cookbook, I thought it would be a good way to prevent them from going to waste.  I hate throwing away produce.  The flavor of these waffles was surprisingly good even if the shape didn't turn out as perfectly as the cookbook photo.  I added a couple turkey sausage links for protein, and I was completely full and satisfied.  My batch of spiralized sweet potatoes made 4 small waffles.  I saved 2 for tomorrow morning.

Blueberry Sweet Potato Waffles
from Inspiralized Cookbook
Makes 2 large waffles or 4 small waffles

Ingredients:
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and spiralized into noodles
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup fresh blueberries (plus extra for serving, if desired)
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup

Directions:
Place the sweet potato noodles in a large bowl and toss with the cinnamon.   Heat a large skillet over medium heat and coat with cooking spray.  Once heated, add the sweet potato noodles and cook, covered, for 5-7 minutes until the potatoes have completely softened.

Meanwhile, preheat a waffle iron.  In the large bowl, whisk the egg and vanilla.  Stir in the blueberries and cooked sweet potato noodles.

Coat the waffle iron with cooking spray and carefully pour in half the noodle mixture, making sure to fill all the cavities.  Cook the waffle until done, transfer to a plate, and repeat for the last half of the mixture.   Drizzle a little maple syrup over each waffle and serve.



1 large waffle + 1/2 Tablespoon Syrup= 150 calories, 4g protein, 13g sugar, 3g fat

No comments:

Post a Comment