Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Sunday, November 11, 2012

Radish, Cucumber, and Spinach Salad (2012 - Week 30)


Week 30 Featured Ingredient:  Beauty Heart Radish


I made my first trip to the Milwaukee Winter Farmers' Market at the State Fair Park.  There were lots of excellent veggies in sight, but this one really caught my eye when I saw the vibrant pink color inside.  I'd never seen a radish like that.  I found a recipe online and changed it up by adding spinach and orange bell peppers to add more color and nutrition.   I liked this salad.  The Beauty Heart Radishes were very mild and basically added crunch and a pretty color.
 

Radish, Cucumber, and Spinach Salad with Dill Vinaigrette
Adapted from Martha Stewart Living

Ingredients:
1 cucumber, halved lenghwise, thinly sliced
1 large Beauty Heart Radish, thinly sliced
1 orange bell pepper, cut into thin strips
4 cups fresh baby spinach
zest and juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 garlic clove, crushed
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions:
Put cucumber, radish, bell pepper, spinach, and lemon zest in a medium bowl, and add cheese. Whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, dill, sugar, and garlic in another medium bowl, whisking until sugar has dissolved; season with salt and pepper. Whisk in the oil in a slow, steady stream until emulsified. Add vinaigrette to cucumber mixture; toss well.  Refrigerate salad in an airtight container up to 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment