Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Saturday, November 24, 2012

Dutch Apple Loaf

Here's another quick bread I made for Jeremy's family's Thanksgiving.   It was moist and tasty, but still not as good as the apple bread my aunt makes for Thanksgiving.   I really liked the topping on this loaf though.

Dutch Apple Loaf
Recipe from Taste of Home

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1&1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups diced peeled tart apples
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Topping:
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 cup cold butter, cubed

Directions:
In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Beat in buttermilk and vanilla.  Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Gradually add dry ingredients to creamed mixture.  Fold in apples and nuts.  Pour into a greased 9x5" loaf pan.  For topping, combine sugar, flour, and cinnamon.  Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Sprinkle over batter.

Bake at 350º for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.  Cool in pan at least 10 minutes, and then cool on wire rack at least an hour before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment