Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Friday, November 30, 2012

Pan-Fried Crab Cakes (2012 - Week 33)


Week 33 Featured Ingredient: Crab

I don't think I've worked with crab before, so I picked it as this week's mystery ingredient.  I decided to make a classic Crab Cake with a Lemon Herb Sauce.  The crab cakes were super delicious.  The sauce was just ok, but the cakes really didn't need it; they were flavorful enough on their own.  Why haven't I made these before?!

Pan-Fried Crab Cakes with Lemon-Herb Sauce

Adapted from The New Best Recipe Cookbook
Serves 4  (2 cakes/serving)

Ingredients:
1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat (with shells/cartilage removed)
4 scallions, green parts, minced (~1/2 cup)
1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
1/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup mayonnaise
salt and ground white pepper
1 large egg
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup vegetable oil
lemon wedges or dipping sauce

Lemon Herb Sauce:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2&1/2 tablespoons lemon juice from 1 lemon
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
1 large scallion, white and green parts, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
ground black pepper

Directions:
In a medium bowl, gently fold the crabmeat, peppers, scallions, herbs, Old Bay, bread crumbs, and mayonnaise, being careful not to break up the lumps of crab.  Season with salt and white pepper to taste.  Carefully fold in the egg with a rubber spatula until the mixture just clings together.  Add more crumbs if necessary.

Shape small clumps of the the mixture into a fat, round cake about 3" wide and 1.5" high.  Arrange on a baking sheet lined with waxed or parchment paper; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes (up to 24 hours).

Put the flour on a plate.  Lightly dredge the cakes in the flour.  Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking.  Gently lay the chilled crab cakes in the skillet and pan-fry until the outsides are crisp and browned, about 3-4 minutes per side.  Serve immediately with lemon wedge or dipping sauce if desired.

To make Lemon Herb Dipping Sauce, mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl.  Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes until ready to serve.  (Will keep in the fridge for several days)

No comments:

Post a Comment