Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Saturday, November 24, 2012

Cranberry-Walnut Bread


 I made this loaf to take to Jeremy's family Thanksgiving.  Jeremy's mom and I really liked it.  Some people just aren't cranberry fans I guess.  I, for one, think this recipe is a keeper!

Cranberry-Nut Bread
Makes one 9" loaf
Recipe taken from "The New Best Recipe" Cookbook

Ingredients:
2/3 cup buttermilk
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 large egg, beaten lightly
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1/3 cup juice from 1 large orange
2 cups unbleached flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped coarse
1&1/2 cups cranberries, chopped coarse

Directions:
Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and preheat oven to 375ºF.  Grease the bottom and sides of a 9x5" loaf pan and dust with a little flour, tapping out the excess.

In a small bowl, stir together the buttermilk, butter, egg, orange juice, and orange zest.  In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Stir the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula until just moistened.  Gently stir in the nuts and cranberries.  Do not over-mix.  Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the surface with the spatula.

Bake at 375º for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 350º and bake an additional ~45 minutes until the loaf is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.   Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and cool at least 1 hour before serving.    (The bread can be wrapped with plastic wrap and stored at room temperature for up to 3 days)

No comments:

Post a Comment