Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Friday, November 9, 2012

Ham, Gruyère, and Apple Panini


This was a 'raiding the refrigerator' lunch.  I happened to have ham, Gruyère cheese, apples, and thyme sprigs in my fridge, so I found a recipe that used them all.  I love a good grilled cheese sandwich. :)    I don't own a panini press, but my George Foreman grill worked just fine.

Ham, Gruyère, and Apple Panini
Recipe from Food Network Channel - Giada De Laurentiis
Makes 2 sandwiches

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4"-thick slices
1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
4 thick slices bread (I used sliced rye bread)  
2 tablespoons mustard
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese
4 slices (4-ounces) Black Forest ham


Directions:
In a skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the apple slices and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples are slightly soft, about 4 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes.

Preheat a panini press. Spread each bread slice with 1/2 tablespoon mustard.  For each sandwich, arrange 1/4 cup of cheese on a bread slice and top with 2 slices of ham. Place the apple mixture evenly on top of the ham. Add the remaining cheese and cover with the remaining bread slice. Grill in the panini press until the cheese has melted and the tops are golden and crispy, about 5 minutes.

1 comment: