Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Sunday, July 11, 2021

Sweet & Sticky Basil Chicken



I wanted a fast, easy meal.  This was a good one, plus I was able to use some fresh garden basil.  I thought the chicken might be too sweet for Jeremy's taste buds, but he liked it too.  I served it over rice with a side salad and garden peas.

Sweet & Sticky Basil Chicken
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients:
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 cup flour
ground black pepper
1/3 cup cornstarch
1&1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized chunks
3 tablespoons oil
handful of basil leaves, torn into pieces
sesame seeds
Sauce:
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 to 4 tablespoons chili garlic sauce, depending on desired heat level

Directions:
Put the beaten egg in a shallow bowl, flour in a second, and the cornstarch in a third.  Stir a few grinds of black pepper into the flour bowl.  Add the chicken pieces to the egg bowl and toss with the egg until well coated.  Then lightly coat the chicken with flour, and then coat with the cornstarch.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat and add the coated chicken.  Cook for about 6-8 minutes until lightly browned and cooked through, turning occasionally.

Meanwhile, whisk together all the sauce ingredients.  When then chicken is cooked, turn the heat down to medium and add the sauce to the skillet.  Stir continuously for a few minutes until the sauce is thickened and the chicken pieces are well coated.

Turn off the heat and stir in the basil until wilted.  Serve over rice and garnish with sesame seeds and more fresh basil.


No comments:

Post a Comment