Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Instant Pot Swedish Meatballs



I decided to try out this Swedish meatball recipe made in the Instant Pot.  It was good, but we weren't blown away.  The gravy was delicious, but there wasn't enough of it. After cooking the meatballs, I froze half of them for another time.  Even with half the meatballs, we could have used more gravy!  I suppose if we ate them by themselves, it would have been fine, but since we served them over egg noodles, we really needed more gravy.  Cooking them in the Instant Pot made it easy and convenient for cleanup at the end.  I seem to remember really liking the Swedish meatball recipe I made 10 years ago for my Muppet party (see link).  I'd probably use that recipe for the actual meatballs and gravy instead but do it all in the Instant Pot since it seemed to work well.

Instant Pot Swedish Meatballs
Makes ~30 meatballs (6-8 servings)

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground pork
1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
1/3 cup milk
2 large egg yolks
1 medium shallot, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups beef stock
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves (for garnish)

Directions:
In a large bowl, combine the beef, pork, breadcrumbs, milk, yolks, shallot, garlic, spices, and salt and pepper to taste.  Stir or use your hands to combine the mixture.   Roll into about 30 meatballs.

Set a 6-qt Instant Pot to the high Saute setting.  Heat oil.  Working in batches, add meatballs and cook until all sides are browned, about 3-4 minutes.  Transfer meatballs to a paper towel-lined plate; set aside.

Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute.  Stir in beef stock, scraping up any browned bits. 

Return meatballs to Instant Pot.   Set pot to Pressure Cook on high for 8 minutes.  When finished, do a quick release of pressure.  Remove meatballs and set aside.

Select high Saute setting again.  Simmer until the sauce has reduced and thickened, about 4-5 minutes.  Stir in the sour cream and season with salt and pepper to taste.   Return meatballs to sauce and stir to warm them up again.  Serve immediately and garnish with parsley.   





No comments:

Post a Comment