Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Thursday, April 30, 2020

Classic Chili


I was in the mood for chili, and I had ground turkey in the freezer, so I found this classic recipe and just substituted the meat.  We had elbow macaroni on hand so we made it chili-mac.  Tasted good.

Classic Chili

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 lb ground beef or ground turkey
2&1/2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1&1/2 cups beef broth (or chicken broth)
1 can (15 oz) petite diced tomatoes
1 can (16 oz) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce

Directions:
Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat.  Add the onion and cook for a few minutes.  Add the ground beef to the pot and cook for 5-6 minutes until the beef is browned, breaking up large chunks and stirring occasionally.

Add the seasonings and stir.   Add the remaining ingredients and stir well.   Bring the chili to a low boil.  Reduce heat to medium-low and gently simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes.   Remove from heat and rest for 5 minutes before serving.  Serve as is or with noodles, cheese, cilantro, or favorite chili garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment