Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Sunday, April 19, 2020

Instant Pot Whole Chicken

I could only find whole chickens in the grocery store a couple weeks ago, so I purchased one.  I decided to try to cook it rotisserie-style in the Instant Pot.  It worked, especially just for shredding up the meat.  The skin wasn't crisp enough for my liking though.  Next time, I might try broiling it for a couple minutes after it's done pressure cooking.   I completely forgot to take a photo until I was halfway done shredding it up.  Oh well.

Instant Pot Whole Chicken

Ingredients:
1 whole chicken (~4-5 lbs), innards removed
1 lemon, cut in half
1 small onion, cut in half

Rotisserie Seasoning:
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano
dash of cayenne pepper

Directions:
Rub seasoning mixture all over chicken.   Stuff the chicken cavity with the lemon and onion.

Place a trivet in the Instant Pot and pour in 1 cup water or chicken broth.  Place chicken on trivet.  Pressure cook on high for 6 minutes per pound of chicken (30 minutes for a 5-lb chicken).  Let pressure naturally release for 15-20 minutes before removing lid.  Insert a meat thermometer into chicken thigh and make sure it has reached 165º F.  Remove chicken from pot and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing or shredding.

No comments:

Post a Comment