Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Risotto con Parmigiano-Reggiano



I had some Arborio Rice in the cupboard, so I decided to make risotto to go along with the Walnut and Rosemary Oven Chicken (which I've made before) and Braised Red Cabbage (no recipe posted for the cabbage because, honestly, it sucked).   The rice was delicious, but perhaps a bit TOO cheesy--and I can't believe those words just came out of my mouth.   I didn't have parsley on hand, but I did have peas in the freezer, so I added some of those to the recipe.

Parmesan Risotto
adapted from Epicurious
Serves 4-8 (depends on whether it's a side dish or main course)

Ingredients:
4 tablespoons butter
1&1/2 cups finely chopped onion
1&1/2 cups arborio rice
1/2 cup white wine
~5 cups low-salt chicken broth
1 cup frozen peas (optional)
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley (optional)
shaved Parmesan cheese (optional)

Directions:
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat.  Add onion and saute until very tender but not brown, about 15 minutes.  Increase heat to medium and add rice, stirring for 1 minute.  Add wine and let fully absorb.  Add 1&1/2 cups broth and boil gently until broth is absorbed, stirring frequently.  Add another cup of broth, cooking and stirring until broth is absorbed.  Add remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, allowing broth to be absorbed before adding more and stirring frequently until rice is tender and mixture is creamy, about 25 minutes.  Add peas and stir in 2 tablespoons butter and 1 cup grated cheese.  Season with salt and pepper.  To serve, sprinkle with parsley and shaved Parmesan if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment