Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Monday, December 22, 2014

Asparagus, Broccoli, and Orzo Salad


I combined a couple different recipes to make this veggie-packed pasta salad with asparagus spears, broccoli, cherry tomatoes, and tri-color orzo.  I thought the balance of lemon to olive oil was not quite right for the dressing somehow, but I still liked the dish overall.

Anne's Asparagus, Broccoli, and Orzo Salad

Ingredients:
1 pound thin asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-2" pieces
1 small head broccoli, cut into 1" florets
salt and pepper
1 heaping cup dry orzo (I used tri-color)
1/4 cup lemon juice + 1 tablespoon
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 shallot, minced
handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped

Directions:
Bring 4 quarts water to a boil in a large pot.  Add the asparagus and broccoli and 1 tablespoon salt and cook until veggies are crisp-tender, about 2 minutes.  Meanwhile, fill a large bowl with ice and water.  Using a slotted spoon, transfer the veggies to the ice bath and let cool 2 minutes.  Remove from ice water and let dry.

Return the pot of water to a boil and add orzo.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender.  Drain, rinse with cold water, then drain again, leaving just a little wet.

Meanwhile, whisk together 1/4 cup lemon juice, garlic, shallot, 1 teaspoon salt, and 3/4 teaspoon pepper.  Whisking constantly, drizzle in the olive oil.  Add the remaining tablespoon lemon juice.   Drizzle over the orzo.  Stir in the asparagus, broccoli, tomatoes, and chopped basil.  




No comments:

Post a Comment