Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Balsamic-Glazed Salmon and Mashed Cheesy Cauliflower


I decided to try something new and make a cauliflower puree.  Plus it gave my blender something to do other than make smoothies.  The recipe promised it would taste as good (or better!) than mashed potatoes.  Ok, no.  It wasn't bad or anything, but I wouldn't compare it to potatoes at all.  For cauliflower, though, it was okay--just different.   Luckily, the salmon was super delicious to make up for my disappointment with the vegetables.  


Balsamic Glazed Salmon
from America's Test Kitchen: Light & Healthy 2010
Serves 4;  290 calories/serving


Ingredients:
4 (6-oz) skinless center-cut salmon fillets, ~1&1/2" thick
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon oil
1/4 cup orange juice
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 small sprig fresh rosemary
salt and pepper

Directions:
Pat the salmon dry and season with salt and pepper.  Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking.  Carefully lay the salmon, skinned-side up, in the skillet and cook until well browned on the first side, about 5 minutes.  Flip the salmon and continue to cook until the sides are opaque and the thickest part registers 125º, about 3 to 5 minutes longer.  Transfer to a platter.

To make glaze, whisk together the orange juice, vinegars, honey, and pepper flakes.  Pour into the skillet over over medium heat and add the rosemary sprig.  Bring to a simmer and cook until the glaze is thick and syrupy, about 5 minutes.  Discard the rosemary and season the glaze with salt and pepper to taste.  Spoon over the salmon and serve.

*****

Mashed Cheesy Cauliflower
from the internet
Serves 4-5

Ingredients:
1 large head cauliflower, chopped into florets and steamed
2 tablespoons lowfat milk
1/4 cup light sour cream
1/2 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup chopped chives


Directions:
Add ingredients to Vitamix blender in the order listed and secure lid.  Start on speed 1 and slowly increase to speed 7.  Blend until desired consistency is reached, about 1 minute.


No comments:

Post a Comment