Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Monday, September 1, 2014

Chinese Five-Spice Steak with Rice Noodles


My friend Rachel came over for a cooking session to make some healthy make-ahead meals.  After grocery shopping and preparing a few freezer meals, we made this for dinner.  I was super excited because I finally got the chance to break out my Chinese Five Spice that I had purchased from Penzeys awhile back.  Those chefs on Food Network shows are always using Chinese Five Spice so I wanted to see what the fuss was about.  When I opened the jar, it smelled like Christmas cookies which is never a bad thing.   I really loved the flavor of the marinade on the steak.  I'd definitely make this again, although I'd remember to buy the green onions and I'd throw in a veggie like broccoli.

Chinese Five-Spice Steak with Rice Noodles
from a Cooking Light cookbook
Makes 4 servings:  1&1/2 cups beef mixture and 1 cup noodles
374 calories/serving

Ingredients:
1 pound flank steak, trimmed and cut into thin strips
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon five-spice powder
4 ounces uncooked wide rice sticks
2 teaspoons canola oil
2 tablespoons minced green onions
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 medium tomatoes, each cut into 6 wedges
2 green onions, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil

Directions:
Combine hoisin sauce, soy sauce, five-spice powder, and steak in large bowl or resealable plastic bag.  Allow to marinate in fridge at least 30 minutes.

Cook noodles according to package directions.  Rinse with cold water and drain.

While noodles are cooking, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add minced green onions and garlic; saute 30 seconds.  Add beef mixture and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.  Stir in tomato wedges, green onions, and basil; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Serve over cooked noodles.


No comments:

Post a Comment