Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Saturday, September 13, 2014

Butternut Squash and Chard Risotto


I had a big bag of Arborio rice sitting in my cupboard, and I've been eyeing this recipe for awhile.  I was going to wait until squash season, but I bought frozen butternut squash instead which worked just fine.  I added my own twist to the original recipe by adding some red chard.  Jeremy and I both enjoyed the taste of this risotto.  It turned out really well, but the portions were huge for two people, at least as a side dish to our salmon.   We ended up having enough leftovers for another meal.

Butternut Squash and Chard Risotto
Adapted from America's Test Kitchen Best-Ever Cooking for Two 
Serves 2 (or more)

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (~2 cups)
salt and pepper
~6 large leaves of red chard
2&1/2 cups water
2 cups vegetable or chicken broth 
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 small onion, chopped fine
1 garlic clove, minced
3/4 cup Arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 oz Parmesan cheese, grated (1/2 cup)
1 teaspoon minced fresh sage

Directions:
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering.  Add squash in an even layer and cook without stirring until golden brown, about 5 minutes.  Stir in 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until squash is tender, about 5 minutes longer.  Transfer to a bowl and set aside.

Meanwhile, in a pot of boiling water, cook chard leaves for 3 minutes.  Drain and transfer leaves to an ice bath.  Remove leaves from icy water and wring dry.  Coarsely chop leaves and set aside.

Pour the broth and water into the pot and let simmer over medium-low heat to keep hot.

In the empty skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat.  Stir in the chopped onion, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.  Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.  Add the rice to the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until grains are translucent around the edges, about 3 minutes.  Add wine and cook, stirring frequently, until fully absorbed, 3-5 minutes.

Add nutmeg, 2 cups of hot broth, chard, and half of squash to the rice.  Simmer, stirring every few minutes, until liquid is absorbed and bottom of pan is almost dry, about 12 minutes.

Stir in 1/2 cup hot broth and cook, stirring constantly, until absorbed, about 3 minutes.  Repeat with additional hot broth two or three more times until rice is al dente.  Off heat, stir in Parmesan, sage, and remaining tablespoon butter, and gently fold in remaining squash.  Adjust consistency with remaining broth as needed and season with salt and pepper to taste.  Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment