Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Italian Stuffed Bell Peppers


These were tasty, but I would recommend browning the sausage before stuffing them in the peppers because the meat still seemed a little pink when the peppers were done.  Other than that, they had good flavor and it was a filling meal when paired with a salad.

Italian Stuffed Bell Peppers
Recipe from Slow Cooker Revolution
Serves 4

Ingredients:
1 onion, minced
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
4 bell peppers (red, yellow, or orange)
1 slice white sandwich bread, torn into quarters
1/4 cup milk
12 oz Italian sausage, removed from its casing
1 small zucchini, chopped into 1/4" pieces
3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
3/4 cup cooked rice
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons minced fresh basil

Directions:
Microwave onion, garlic, oil, tomato paste, and red pepper flakes in a bowl, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.

Cut top 1/2 inch off each pepper.  Chop pepper tops finely, discarding stems.  Remove core and seeds from peppers.

Mash bread and milk together in a large bowl using a fork. Mix in the onion mixture, chopped pepper tops, sausage, zucchini, cheeses, cooked rice, 1 teapoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.  Pack filling evenly into peppers.

Pour 1/3 cup water into slow cooker.  Place stuffed peppers upright in slow cooker.  Cover and cook until peppers are tender, 4 to 6 hours on low.

Using tongs and slotted spoon, transfer peppers to a serving platter.  Sprinkle with basil and additional cheese if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment