Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Friday, February 28, 2014

Beer-Braised Pork Chops


We had a bottle of beer in the fridge that was just sitting there--for a really, really long time.  I don't drink the stuff.  I don't know if beer goes bad, but I decided to use it in a recipe to help clear out the fridge.   I found this recipe and decided it looked good.  It was.  I didn't really taste the beer in the pork, but the pears were quite saturated with the beer juice and I noticed it there.  I accompanied the main dish with boiled red potatoes and green beans.

Beer-Braised Pork Chops with Pears
from Eating Light Magazine
Serves 4;  348 calories/serving

Ingredients:
2 teaspoons olive oil
4 center-cut bone-in pork loin chops
salt and pepper
2 Anjou pears, peeled, cored, and cut into wedges
1 bottle (12 oz) lager beer (or any beer)
3/4 teaspoon dried sage

Directions:
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Season pork chops with salt and pepper.  Add to skillet and sear about 4 minutes on each side.  Transfer chops to plate.  Add pears to skillet and cook about 6 minutes or until golden.  Transfer pears to plate.  

Add beer and sage to the skillet, scraping up browned bits with a wooden spoon.  Return the pork and pears to the pan and bring to a simmer.  Reduce heat to low, partially cover, and braise for 5-7 minutes until pork is cooked through.  Remove pork and pears, increase heat to medium and cook about 10 minutes until the sauce is reduced by half.  Serve pork with pears and sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment