Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Saturday, February 1, 2014

Italian Wedding Pasta


I was browsing through my cookbook magazines, and I realized I had almost all of the ingredients to make this, so I put this on my dinner plan for the week.    It was really good and I was impressed that it was under 400 calories.  I cheated a bit and used meatballs that I already had in my freezer, but I'm sure the taste was the same overall anyway.   I halved this recipe and put it in an 8x8 pan to bake.

Italian Wedding Pasta
from Eating Light magazine
Serves 8; 390 calories/serving

Ingredients:
1 pound ground turkey
1/4 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 large egg
1 cup freshly grated Romano cheese (divided)
1 pound farfalle pasta
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1&1/2 cups milk
1 can (~14oz) reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 bag (9 oz) baby spinach
freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
In a medium bowl, mix the ground turkey, breadcrumbs, parsley, garlic, egg, and 1/4 cup Romano until just blended.  Shape mixture into small meatballs.  Place on a baking sheet lined with foil.  Bake in a preheated 400º oven for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat a large pot of water to boiling.  Add pasta and cook to al dente.  Drain pasta and return to pot.

In a 2-cup liquid measuring cup, whisk cornstarch into milk.  Add the milk mixture and chicken broth to pot with pasta.  Heat to boiling, stirring frequently, and continue to boil 1 minute longer to thicken sauce slightly.  Remove from heat and add spinach, 1/2 cup grated Romano, meatballs, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper; toss to combine.  Transfer mixture to a 9x13" baking pan.  Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup Romano cheese over top.  Bake 20 minutes or until hot in the center and golden brown on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment