Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Bacon-Wrapped Grilled Venison and Parmesan Roasted Asparagus


Tonight's dinner featured venison tenderloins from the deer my sister-in-law shot.  Reading various internet sources, I concluded that grilling was the preferred method of cooking, but it's freezing outside and our patio is still covered with a mountain of snow, so that's not happening.  I found a recipe online in which it was cooked on a grill pan on the stovetop, and I copied that idea.   I even got out my vacuum sealer to marinate the tenderloin which was fun.  I really liked this recipe.  Maybe it was the bacon, or the marinade, but the venison didn't taste "gamey" at all.  It was tender and delicious, like a steak.  I had meant to cook it to medium/medium-rare for the best flavor, but I accidentally went to medium/medium-well.  It was still good and not tough.  The parmesan asparagus was also excellent.  I highly recommend it.

Bacon-Wrapped Grilled Venison
Serves 2

Ingredients:
10-12 oz venison tenderloin (backstrap)
4-6 slices bacon
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger

Directions:
In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the seven marinade ingredients.  Add the venison and turn to coat.  Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4-8 hours or overnight, flipping bag over once during the time.  If you vacuum-seal the bag, you can reduce the marinating time if you want.

Remove tenderloin from fridge and discard marinade.  Starting at one end, wrap a slice of bacon tightly around the tenderloin  and secure with a toothpick.  Repeat with the next strip, slightly overlapping bacon, until entire tenderloin is wrapped.

Heat a grill pan on the stove top to medium and grill bacon-wrapped tenderloin to your preference, turning to brown all sides and get bacon crispy all the way around.  I think it took 6-7 minutes per side.  Let rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing.  I was aiming for an internal temperature of 150º at the end of the grilling.  After it rested, the temperature was close to 160º.





*****

Parmesan Roasted Asparagus
Serves 2

Ingredients:
12-16 asparagus spears
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
lemon juice, optional


Directions:
If desired, with a vegetable peeler, peel the outer skin off the lower 2/3 of each spear.  Trim the spears by holding each end and bending until it snaps.

In a tray, toss the spears with the olive oil.  Sprinkle with the remaining ingredients.  Arrange asparagus on a baking sheet lined with foil.  If desired, sprinkle with a little more grated Parmesan.  Bake in a preheated 425º oven for about 10 minutes, depending on thickness of spears.  Sprinkle with lemon juice just before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment