Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Sunday, January 6, 2013

Homemade Applesauce

  Oh boy, this recipe is a keeper.  Yummy!  Easy and delicious.  I left my applesauce slightly chunky because I like it that way, but you could throw it in a food processor to get it really smooth.  I made a double batch, so I'm glad I had this apple peeler/corer.  Jeremy got through 6 pounds of apples in record time.  He peeled; I chopped and threw them in the pot.  Teamwork. :)


Homemade Applesauce (2013 Cookbook Challenge)
Recipe from Joy of Cooking
Serves 4 to 6

Ingredients:
3 pounds McIntosh or Empire apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
~1/2 cup sugar  (I used less)
~1 tablespoons ground cinnamon (if desired, which I do)

Directions:
Combine the apples, water, and lemon juice in a heavy-bottomed pot.  Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the apples are soft and falling apart, about 20-30 minutes.  Stir in the sugar and cinnamon to taste.  Raise the heat to medium and cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, until the applesauce thickens.  Remove from heat.  If you want a smoother sauce, puree in a food processor.  Serve warm or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment