Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Friday, November 12, 2010

Apricot-Glazed Pork Chops and Buttermilk Corn Bread



I found these recipes in a Taste of Home "Healthy Cooking" Magazine.  The recipes were very simple and quick to prepare.  They both had pretty good flavor.  I used whole wheat flour to make the corn bread to make it a little healthier.   It wasn't the best meal ever, but it was good, and I left the table satisfied.

Pork Chops with Apricot Sauce
(1 chop with 2 tablespoons sauce= 273 calories)

3 boneless pork loin chops (6 oz each)
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup sugar-free apricot preserves
1/2 tablespoon minced chives
1/8 teaspoon salt

Sprinkle pork with pepper and garlic powder.   In a large skillet, brown chops in oil on each side.  Combine the preserves, chives, and salt; spoon over chops.  Reduce heat; cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160º.  Serve with sauce.



Buttermilk Corn Bread
Yield 8-9 servings  (1 serving = 172 calories)

1 cup flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons butter, melted

In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients.   In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk, and butter.  Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened.  Transfer to a 9" square baking pan coated with cooking spray.  Bake at 400º for 15-20 minutes until top is lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean.  Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment