Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Friday, June 12, 2020

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie



I saw fresh rhubarb in the grocery store so I scooped some up (cost me only 50 cents!) and also scored some strawberries that were on sale.  We don't eat dessert very often, so I decided it was time for a treat!  This pie was DELICIOUS.  I'm glad I made my own crust.  It tastes better than the store-bought ones.

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Ingredients:
1 pie crust (See recipe below)
3 cups rhubarb in 1/4"-thick slices (about 5-6 medium stalks, ~12-16oz)
2 cups sliced strawberries (~12 oz)
2/3 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch

Streusel Topping:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup cold butter, cubed

Directions:
Roll out the pie dough to about a 12" diameter circle and place in a 9-inch pie plate, trimming and fluting the edges to make it pretty.

In a large bowl, stir together the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, and cornstarch.  As you keep stirring, it will turn thick and syrupy.  Pour the strawberry mixture over the pie dough.

In a small bowl, combine the flour and brown sugar.  Add the butter, using a pastry cutter or two knives to cut the butter into the flour until it has the consistency of coarse crumbs.

Sprinkle the streusel evenly over the pie.  Place pie plate on a baking sheet (just in case filling bubbles out), and bake at 375º for 50-55 minutes until streusel is golden.   Check on the pie halfway through cooking time and place foil around crust if it is getting too brown.

Let pie cool completely before slicing.



******

Buttery Pie Crust Recipe 

(Makes 2 Crusts-- you can freeze half the dough for another time if not needed)

Ingredients:
2&1/2 cups flour
1&1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
3/4 cup vegetable shortening, chilled
1/2 cup ice water

Directions:
Stir the flour and salt in a large bowl.  Using a pastry cutter, cut in the butter and shortening until it resembles coarse crumbs.   Add ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring between each addition.  Only add enough water until the dough begins to form large clumps (usually about 1/2 cup total).

Transfer dough to a floured work surface and fold the dough unto itself several times until flour is fully incorporated into the fats.  Form the dough into a ball and divide into 2 equal pieces.  Using your hands, flatten each piece into a 1-inch thick circular disc.  Wrap each disc in plastic wrap.   Refrigerate at least 2 hours (up to 5 days).  [If saving for the future, freeze disc for up to 3 months and thaw in fridge.]

Roll out dough starting from center and roll outward in all directions until it's about 12-inches in diameter.  Follow baking instructions per pie recipe.




No comments:

Post a Comment