Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Friday, June 12, 2020

Ground Turkey Enchilada Casserole


I wanted something different than our typical taco night, so I decided to make an Enchilada casserole.  I found a couple different recipes online and then combined and edited them to make my own recipe.  It turned out better than I expected.  I absolutely loved the flavor.  Jeremy said it was good, but he wanted a "crunch" element.  Perhaps sprinkled tortilla chips or Fritos for Jeremy's leftovers?

Ground Turkey Enchilada Casserole
Makes 6-8 servings

Ingredients:
1 lb Ground Turkey (or Ground Beef or Shredded Chicken, etc)
1 large red bell pepper, cored and diced
1 small onion, diced
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon oregano leaves
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
pinch salt
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup corn kernels (I used frozen)
1 can (10 oz) Diced Tomatoes with Green Chiles
1 can (10 oz) Red Enchilada Sauce  (I used mild, but you can kick it up)
12 (6") corn tortillas
3 cups shredded Monterrey Jack or cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
Optional Toppings: Chopped fresh cilantro, sliced green onions, sour cream, avocado, etc

Directions:
Cook the turkey/beef in a large skillet over medium heat until done.  Transfer meat to a bowl.   Using the juices still in the skillet, saute the bell pepper and onions until softened, about 5 minutes.  Stir in the spices and add the meat back into the skillet.  Stir in the beans, corn, tomatoes, and 1/2 of the enchilada sauce.  Remove from heat and set aside.

In a 9x13" baking dish, pour the remaining 1/2 can of enchilada sauce to thinly cover the bottom.   Arrange 6 tortillas so they cover the bottom, overlapping slightly.  Spoon half the meat mixture over the tortillas.  Top with 1&1/2 cups shredded cheese.  Arrange the remaining 6 tortillas, followed by the remaining meat mixture, topped with the remaining cheese.

Bake, covered with foil, at 375º for 20 minutes.  Remove foil and bake another 10 minutes.  Serve warm with toppings of your choice.

Make Ahead Note:  I think this recipe lends itself well to make ahead/freezing.   I actually prepared the casserole layering earlier in the day and then put it in the fridge, covered.  When it was time to eat in the evening, I put it in the oven to bake.  I'm sure you could make this into smaller casserole dishes and freeze some for another day.





No comments:

Post a Comment