Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Sunday, July 3, 2016

Grilled Lamb Chop with Lemon-Mint Salsa Verde, Baked Eggplant Fries, and Pesto Caprese Zucchini Salad


It's a Mediterranean meal tonight.  I had a lot of basil and mint to harvest from my herb garden, and I thought these recipes would help me use some of it.   The lamb recipe called for loin or rib chops, but the store only had shoulder, so I used that instead.  Less pricey, and still delicious.  The pesto caprese salad was okay.  I don't own a spiralizer, so I just used a box grater to make the zucchini "noodles."  My favorite item on the plate was the eggplant fries.  The recipe said you can dip them in marinara sauce, but I liked them enough just on their own.  I had been scared to eat/use eggplant after a disastrous eggplant casserole recipe I made several years ago and had to throw out after one bite (yes, every once in awhile a recipe I attempt is just plain bad).  But I tried eggplant fries at a restaurant and loved them so much I wanted to give them a try at home.  Glad I did!

Grilled Lamb Chop with Lemon-Mint Salsa Verde
from Weber's Best Summer Grilling Recipes
Serves 4

Ingredients:
8 lamb loin or rib chops, 1&1/4" thick (I used shoulder)
extra-virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
Salsa:
1 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
1 cup loosely packed fresh Italian parsley leaves
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon roughly chopped shallot
1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and drained
1 garlic clove
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Directions:
In a food processor, combine all the salsa ingredients except the oil and pulse to a rough chop.  With the motor running, add the oil to form a chunky salsa.  Transfer to a bowl and cover the surface with plastic wrap to avoid discoloration.  (The salsa can be made up to 4 hours in advance stored in the fridge.  Bring to room temp and stir before serving)

Lightly brush the lamb chops with oil and season with salt and pepper.  Allow to sit at room temperature for 15-30 minutes before grilling.

Grill over medium-high to high heat for 8-10 minutes total, turning once.  Let rest for 5 minutes.  Serve warm with salsa spooned on top.

*****

Crispy Baked Eggplant Fries
Serves 3-4

Ingredients:
1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/4" thick strips
1/2 cup flour
salt and pepper
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions:
In one bowl, combine flour with a little salt and pepper.  In a second bowl, add the eggs,  In the third bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, Parmesan, and seasonings.    Dredge the eggplant slices in the flour mixture, then into the egg, and finally into the breadcrumb mixture.  Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (or nonstick foil).  Bake at 425º until golden brown, about 10 minutes.   Enjoy alone or with your favorite dipping sauce (ketchup, marinara sauce, yogurt, etc).

*****


Pesto Caprese Zucchini Salad
Serves 2

Ingredients:
1 medium zucchini, spiralized or run through large holes of box grater
2 thick slices tomato
2 slices mozzarella cheese (2 oz each)
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil (for drizzling)
salt and pepper
2 basil leaves
Pesto:
2 teaspoons pine nuts
1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
1&1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 small garlic clove
salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:
Place all the pesto ingredients in a food processor and pulse until creamy.  

In a medium bowl, add the zucchini noodles and toss with the pesto.

Plate the pesto zucchini and top with the tomato and mozzarella.  Drizzle with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper.  Garnish with basil leaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment