Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Grilled Chicken with Honey-Mustard Glaze


Apparently, the secret to juicy grilled boneless chicken is milk powder.  I decided to test it out (although it was weird to buy a whole big box of milk powder in order to use just 2 teaspoons of it).  I gotta say, whatever I did, it worked.  The chicken breasts didn't dry out at all and the glaze stuck nicely and got a nice browning without burning.  This was my first time trying the brining technique as well.  Perhaps that's what kept the chicken so juicy.  I really liked the flavor of the glaze.  This recipe is definitely a keeper.

Grilled Brined Chicken with a Honey-Mustard Glaze
Recipe from America's Test Kitchen: Master of the Grill
Serves 4

Ingredients:
1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup sugar
4 (6-to 8-oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 teaspoons nonfat dry milk powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
vegetable oil spray
Glaze:
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons corn syrup
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon ground fennel seeds

Directions:
To make the brine, dissolve the salt and sugar in 1&1/2 quarts (6 cups) water in a large bowl.  Submerge chicken in the brine; cover and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes.

Meanwhile, make the glaze.  Whisk the vinegar and cornstarch in a small saucepan until dissolved.  Whisk in the remaining ingredients.  Bring mixture to a boil over high heat.  Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 1 minute.  Transfer glaze to a bowl.

When ready, remove chicken from brine and pat dry with paper towels.  Combine the milk powder and black pepper in a small bowl and sprinkle over both sides of the chicken.  Spray with cooking spray until milk powder is moistened.

Place chicken on preheated grill over medium-high heat until browned on first side, about 2-3 minutes.  Flip chicken and brush with 2 tablespoons glaze, and cook for 2 minutes.  Repeat flipping and glazing two more times, cooking for 2 minutes each time.  Flip one more time, glaze, and cook until chicken registers 160º, about 1-3 minutes.  Transfer chicken to a plate and let rest for 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment