Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Monday, July 4, 2016

Grilled Salmon with Chipotle Butter and Roasted Cauliflower Boats


I was in the mood for salmon, so I found this recipe in one of my grilling cookbooks.  We decided to put it on a cedar plank instead of directly on the grill which gave it more wood-smoked flavor. Plus, it made grill cleanup easier.  I loved this recipe, although I think I could have added another chipotle to the butter to really enhance that flavor.  As as side dish, I discovered this super light cauliflower-endive leaf appetizer.  I added a chopped tomato to the recipe to add even more veggies/color to the filling.  It was fun to try something different for a veggie.  I liked it. :)

Grilled Salmon with Chipotle Butter
Recipe from Weber's Best Summer Grilling Recipes
Serves 4

Ingredients:
4 salmon fillets (with skin), 6-8oz each
vegetable oil
salt and pepper
lime wedges (for serving)
Butter:
1/2 stick (4 Tbsp) unsalted butter, softened
2-3 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, seeded and minced
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:
In a small bowl, combine the butter ingredients.  Set aside.

Generously brush the salmon with oil and season evenly with salt and pepper.  Grill on the grates or on a soaked cedar plank over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes or until fish flakes easily.  Smear some chipotle butter over each fillet and serve warm with lime wedges if desired.

*****

Cauliflower "Caviar" with Frizzled Prosciutto
Adapted from Cooking Light: Pick Fresh
~30 calories/leaf (if small I assume)
Made 6 (medium?) leaves

Ingredients:
2 cups chopped cauliflower florets
3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 oz prosciutto, chopped
1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
1/2 tablespoon sherry vinegar
2 tablespoons diced tomato
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
6-12 Belgian endive leaves (depends on size)
1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives

Directions:
Arrange cauliflower on a baking sheet. Drizzle 2 teaspoons olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper; toss to combine.  Bake at 400º for 20-30 minutes or until cauliflower is lightly browned.

Meanwhile, heat a small skillet over medium heat.  Add 1 teaspoon oil and add prosciutto.  Saute for 10 minutes or until crisp, stirring occasionally.  Add garlic and cook another minute.  Drain on paper towels.

Combine cauliflower, prosciutto, and vinegar together in a medium bowl.  Mash with a fork if you need to further reduced cauliflower size.  Stir in the tomatoes and parsley.  Spoon 2 tablespoons into each leaf and top with chives.  Serve warm or room temperature.


No comments:

Post a Comment