Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Saturday, June 4, 2016

Molasses Spice Cookies with Rum Glaze


I decided to make these cookies for an event because I already had all the ingredients in my cupboard.  I liked the cookies with and without the rum glaze.  I tried one of each, of course, for quality assurance purposes. ;)

Molasses Spice Cookies with Rum Glaze
from The New Best Recipes Cookbook
Makes ~24 cookies

Ingredients:
2&1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1&1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1&1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons (1&1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened but still cool
1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar, plus extra for rolling
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup molasses
Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2-3 tablespoons rum

Directions:
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, spices, and salt and pepper.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, beat the butter and brown and granulated sugars until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.  Add the yolk and vanilla, and beat until incorporated, about 20 seconds.  Add the molasses and beat until incorporated, about 20 seconds.  Add the flour mixture and beat on low speed until just combined, about 30 seconds, scraping the bowl if needed.

Place 1/2 cup granulated sugar for rolling in a shallow bowl.  Wet hands with a little water and scoop out a heaping tablespoon of dough.  Roll it between moistened palms to form a ball; drop ball into sugar and repeat to form 4-6 balls.  Toss the balls in the sugar to coat and set on a parchment-paper-lined (or Silpat-lined or sprayed) baking sheet.  Repeat for the remaining dough.

Bake, one tray at a time, at 375º on middle rack for about 11 minutes, until cookies are browned and still puffy, the edges have begun to set, but the middles are still soft.  Cool on the sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

To make glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar and rum.  Use the whisk to drizzle the glaze over the top of the cookies.  Allow 10-15 minutes for the glaze to dry.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment