Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Thyme-Dusted Pork Medallions with Pear-Rutabaga Mash


I decided to spin from my Wheel of Meals as recipe inspiration, and it landed on New to You.   I don't remember ever cooking with Rutabaga, so I picked that as my "new" ingredient.  The pork was good, but the rutabaga mash was strange--not bad, but the pears and orange juice made it sweet.  It almost reminded me of squash.

Thyme-Dusted Pork Medallions with Pear-Rutabaga Mash
Recipe from One Pan, Two Plates
Serves 2

Ingredients:
10 oz pork tenderloin, cut into 1" thick rounds
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium rutabaga, peeled and diced into 1/2" pieces
1 shallot, chopped
1 cup fresh orange juice
1 ripe pear, peeled, cored, and cut into 1" cubes
3 teaspoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon orange zest

Directions:
Season the pork medallions on both sides with salt and pepper and sprinkle the thyme over one side, pressing to help it stick.  Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the olive oil.  When it begins to shimmer, add the pork to the pan, thyme-side down, and brown them, about 2 minutes.  Flip and brown on the other side, about 2 minutes.  Transfer to a plate (they are not fully cooked yet).

Add the diced rutabaga, shallot, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the pan and saute for about 2 minutes.  Add the orange juice and bring it to a simmer.  Cover pan, reduce heat to low, and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.  Stir in the pear and 2 teaspoons butter, and cook, covered, another 2 minutes.  Arrange the pork medallions on top, re-cover, and cook until the pork is rosy, about 2 minutes longer.

Divide the pork medallions between two warmed plates.  Pour off all but 1/4 cup liquid from the skillet and season the rutabaga with salt and pepper as needed.  Add the orange zest and smash the rutabaga-pear mixture with a potato masher until it resembles lumpy mashed potatoes.  Scoop the mash onto the plates alongside the pork and dot with a little butter.  Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment