Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Braised Lentils with Polish Kielbasa and Cabbage


I wanted to give this recipe a try because Jeremy loves kielbasa and because I had lentils in my cupboard that needed to get used.  After a small amount of prep work chopping the veggies, it was convenient throwing everything into one skillet to do its work (also nice for the clean up).  I thought the recipe tasted great and was really filling.  Jeremy said he'd prefer less lentils.  My fresh rosemary from our herb garden really popped in this dish. The serving size was way too big-we had a large 3rd serving left over.

Braised Lentils with Polish Kielbasa and Cabbage
from One Pan, Two Plates
Serves 2 (extremely large servings)

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 cups thinly sliced cabbage
1 carrot, thinly sliced
1 celery rib, thinly sliced
1 garlic glove, minced
2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup dry white wine
3/4 cup dried lentils
1&1/4 cups chicken broth
8 oz Polish kielbasa, cut into bite-sized pieces

Directions:
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil.  When it begins to shimmer, add the onions and saute until they begin to soften, about 1 minute.  Add the cabbage, carrot, celery, garlic, rosemary, salt, and pepper.  Saute about 3 minutes, until the veggies begin to soften.

Pour in the wine and cook until it has almost cooked off, about a minute.  Add the lentils, chicken broth, and kielbasa, and stir, making sure to immerse the lentils in the liquid.  Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low and cover, simmering for about 25 minutes until the lentils are tender.  Add more salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment