Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Tuna Noodle Casserole for 2


The Wheel of Meals landed on No Shopping

Yikes, it finally happened--we landed on the dreaded 'No Shopping' space.   It was almost time for dinner and the fridge had barely anything to contribute and nothing was thawed from the freezer.  I looked around in my cupboards and found a can of tuna, some chicken broth, and a half-empty bag of egg noodles.  In the fridge, I had a half-empty bag of shredded cheese and milk.  Yes, this can work.   The casserole was really pretty good although we really couldn't taste the cheese.  We left out the peas because we didn't have any in the freezer.  I just made a broccoli side dish instead.  I liked the crunchy Panko topping.  No complaints.

Tuna Noodle Casserole for 2 
from iowagirleats.com
Serves 2

Ingredients:
3 oz egg noodles
1 tablespoon butter
1 shallot, minced
salt and pepper
1&1/2 tablespoons flour
3/4 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup skim milk
1/4 cup frozen peas
5-6oz can tuna packed in water, drained
1/4 cup shredded cheese
1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon Panko breadcrumbs
1/8 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 tablespoon butter, melted

Directions:
Cook noodles in boiling salted water until slightly undercooked.  Drain and return to pot. Set aside.

In a medium sized skillet over medium heat, melt butter.  Add shallots, season with salt and pepper, and saute until softened, about 3 minutes.  Add in flour and stir, cooking another minute.  Slowly whisk in chicken broth, breaking up any clumps of butter and flour.  Next, pour in the milk and bring mixture to a boil.  Add peas.  Reduce heat to medium and let mixture bubble until thickened, about 5-6 minutes, whisking every minute or so.

Add drained tuna to the sauce and salt and pepper to taste.  Turn off the heat and stir in the shredded cheese until completely melted.  Pour the sauce into the pot with the noodles and stir to combine.   Spray two individual ramekins with cooking spray and divide the mixture evenly between the two.

In a small bowl, combine the Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, and melted butter.  Sprinkle over the casseroles.   Bake in a preheated 375º oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment