Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Fresh Cherry Galette


I saw cherries on sale at the grocery store, so I decided to buy a bag.  As I ate a few and spit out the seeds, I got annoyed with the seeds, so I decided to pit them all.  I tried a couple different methods, but using the end of a round pastry tip seemed to work the best for me.  Once I had them all pitted, I started looking through my cookbooks for a nice fresh cherry recipe.  This one called out to me.  It was delicious.  I couldn't find the larger turbinado sugar at the store, so I just used a sprinkle of regular sugar on the outer edge.

Fresh Cherry Galette
from Cooking Light Pick Fresh Cookbook
Serves 6; 227 calories/slice

Ingredients:
1/2 (14-oz) package refrigerated pie dough
3 tablespoons sugar, divided
1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
3&1/2 cups pitted fresh cherries
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1&1/2 tablespoons buttermilk
1 tablespoon turbinado sugar

Directions:
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and unroll pie dough onto parchment, rolling into a ~12" circle. Combine 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch, stirring with a whisk.  Sprinkle cornstarch mixture over dough, leaving a 2-inch border.

Combine cherries, 2 tablespoons sugar, and the lemon rind and juice; toss well to coat.  Arrange cherry mixture over dough, leaving a 2-inch border.  Fold dough border over cherries, pressing gently to seal (it won't completely cover cherries).  Brush edges of dough with buttermilk and sprinkle turbinado sugar over cherries and edges of dough.  Bake at 400º for 25 minutes or until dough is browned and juices are bubbly.  Remove from oven and let cool for at least 20 minutes before serving.  Slice into 6 wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment