Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Thursday, June 19, 2014

Bacon, Kale, and Cheese Rösti


I was paging through a cooking magazine, and saw this recipe and thought I'd give it a try because I knew I had a half-opened bag of frozen hash browns in the freezer we wanted to use up somehow.   The original recipe called for zucchini (which would have been wonderful), but I had kale in my fridge, so that's what I used instead.   Jeremy didn't want to try this recipe (he said "I just want my cereal"), so I had breakfast leftovers for days.  I thought it was good.  He missed out.

Bacon, Kale, and Cheese Rösti
Serves 4

Ingredients:
1 egg
1 egg white
1 medium zucchini, shredded (or 1 cup chopped kale leaves)
1 shallot, chopped
2 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
1 teaspoon chopped oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheese

Directions:
In a large bowl, beat the egg and egg white.  Stir in vegetables, bacon, oregano, salt, and pepper.  Stir in the frozen hash browns.

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.  Spread potato mixture evenly in skillet.  Cook for 8-10 minutes without stirring or until bottom is browned.  Using the edge of a spatula, cut mixture into quarters.  Carefully flip each quarter.  Sprinkle with cheese.  Cook about 5-6 minutes longer or until browned on bottom.



No comments:

Post a Comment