Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Sunday, June 8, 2014

Shredded Chicken Tacos with Grilled Corn Salsa and Avocados


The Wheel of Meals landed on International

I saw a yummy-looking recipe for tacos on the cover of one of my Cooking Light Magazines, so I decided to roll with it and adapt it.  I already had the corn salsa left over from the Flank Steak recipe, so it was a good opportunity to use leftovers in a creative way.  Instead of buying a rotisserie chicken, I cooked and shredded regular chicken breasts and added a little seasoning.  I liked the end result.   And, by the way, it made great leftovers on a romaine lettuce leaf for a light lettuce wrap.

Shredded Chicken Tacos with Grilled Corn Salsa and Avocados
Adapted from Cooking Light magazine
Makes 8 tacos; 210 calories per taco

Ingredients:
2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken breast (or see recipe below)
8 corn tortillas (6")
1 peeled avocado, cut into wedges


Corn Relish: (amounts are approximate)
1-2 cups chopped tomato
2 tablespoons chopped shallot
1 chopped jalapeno pepper
1 chopped green onion 
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon lime juice
salt and pepper

2 ears shucked corn

Directions:
Heat tortillas according to package directions.  Add chicken to each tortilla and top with corn mixture and avocado slices.  Squirt a little lime juice if desired.

For Corn Relish:
Preheat boiler.   Place corn on a rimmed baking sheet and broil 18 minutes or until slightly charred on on all sides, rotating every 6 minutes.  Let cool.  Cut kernels from corn and place in a medium bowl.  Add all the other ingredients for the corn salsa and mix well.  Refrigerate until ready to use.

For Shredded Chicken: 
In a large 12-inch nonstick skillet with a lid, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat until hot and rippling. Pat the chicken dry and season with salt and pepper on both sides. Place the chicken top-side down in the hot skillet and let the chicken cook for 5 minutes until golden brown on top. Flip the chicken, add the water or chicken broth, cover the skillet and let the chicken simmer gently over medium heat for 7-10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through (it will register 160 degrees on a thermometer). Don't overcook or it might be dry.  Remove the chicken from the skillet. Let it cool slightly before shredding. The cooked chicken will keep well-covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or can be frozen for up to 2 months.

Leftovers:  





No comments:

Post a Comment