Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Thursday, January 30, 2014

Soft Pretzels



Mmmm, soft pretzels.  Work was having a "bring a treat to work" day, and I thought about baking the usual cookies/brownies/cupcakes, but I felt like doing something different.  This was on my bucket list of things to try, so I went for it.  They turned out great.  I attempted to make a few with a cinnamon-sugar topping instead of salt, and the cinnamon got a little burnt, so I don't recommend that.    Also, I recommend eating them sooner rather than later because they got a little dough-y and chewy as they sat throughout the day.  But fresh out of the oven--- they tasted just like the pretzels at a ballpark.  Yum.


Soft Pretzels
Recipe from Alton Brown - Food Network
Makes 8-12 pretzels

Ingredients:
1&1/2 cups warm water (110-115ºF)
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 package active dry yeast
4&1/2 cups flour
2 ounces unsalted butter, melted
vegetable oil, for pain
10 cups water
2/3 cup baking soda
1 large egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon water
pretzel salt  (I used course sea salt)

Directions:
Combine the water, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and sprinkle the yeast on top.  Allow to sit for 5 minutes or until the mixture begins to foam.  Add the flour and butter and, using the dough hook attachment, mix on low speed until well combined.  Change to medium speed and knead until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl, about 4-5 minutes.  Remove the dough from the bowl, clean the bowl, and oil it with vegetable oil.  Return the dough to the bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let it sit in a warm place for 50-55 minutes until the dough has doubled in size.

Preheat the oven to 450º.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and lightly brush with the vegetable oil.  Set aside.

Bring the water and baking soda to a rolling boil in a large pot.

In the meantime, turn the dough out onto a slightly oiled work surface and divide into 8 to 12 equal pieces.  Roll out each piece of dough into a 24-inch rope.  Make a U-shape with the rope, cross the ends over each other and press into the bottom of the U to form a pretzel shape. 

Place the pretzels, one at a time, into the boiling water for 30 seconds.  Remove them from the water using a large spatula and place on the parchment-lined baking sheet.   Brush the top of each pretzel with the beaten egg yolk and water mixture and sprinkle with the pretzel salt.  Bake until golden brown in color, about 10-14 minutes.  Transfer to a cooling rack for at least 5 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment