Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Friday, November 8, 2013

Pear-Date Streusel Bars



I think these bars are super yummy.  I volunteered to bring a dessert to a ladies' lunch after our tennis match, so I broke out this recipe.  Everyone seemed to enjoy them.  I've made these bars before, but I don't think I've ever posted the recipe.  Here it is.

Pear-Date Streusel Bars
from Betty Crocker's New Eat and Lose Weight Cookbook
Makes 36 bars; 85 calories/bar

Ingredients:
1 can (16 oz) pear halves in extra-light syrup
1 package (8oz) chopped dates
1 cup flour
1 cup quick-cooking oats
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup reduced-calorie spread (or margarine or butter)
powdered sugar, if desired

Directions:
Finely chop the pears.  Heat the pears, pear juice from can, and dates to boiling in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.  Once boiling, reduce heat to low and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thickened.  Cool slightly.

Meanwhile, mix flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.  Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs.  Reserve 1 cup crumbly mixture for topping.  Press remaining mixture in bottom of a 13x9" pan coated with nonstick cooking spray.  Bake at 350º for 15 minutes.

Carefully spread date mixture over crust.  Sprinkle with remaining crumbly mixture.  Bake for another 30 minutes or until lightly golden brown.  Cool completely.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.  Cut into 2 x 1&1/2" bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment