Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Monday, November 4, 2013

Molasses-Glazed Pork Chops and Parmesan-Crusted Asparagus


Tonight's meal was quite delicious.  I really liked the glaze on the pork chops.  The recipe called for thin-cut chops, but I had a couple thick ones in the freezer, so that's what I used--I just had to cook them longer.  And it was the best asparagus I ever made.  I suppose if you put Parmesan breading on anything it will taste good. :)

Cider Vinegar-&-Molasses-Glazed Pork Chops  (2013 Cookbook Challenge)
from Eating Well Serves Two

Ingredients:
2 thin-cut boneless pork chops, trimmed of fat
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 shallot, finely chopped
1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce

Directions:
Heat oil over medium-high heat in a medium skillet.  Add pork and cook until browned and no longer pink in the middle, about a couple minutes per side.  Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.

To the skillet, add shallot, jalapeno, and garlic; cook, stirring often, until slightly softened, about 2-3 minutes.  Add molasses, vinegar, mustard, and soy sauce, and bring to simmer.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 2 to 4 minutes.  Return the pork and any accumulated juices to the pan and turn to coat with sauce.  Serve the pork with the sauce.

****** 

Parmesan-Crusted Asparagus
from America's Test Kitchen: Cooking for Two 2013

Ingredients:
1 pound (1/2" thick) asparagus, trimmed
salt and pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup Panko bread crumbs
1/2 tablespoon melted butter, cooled
pinch Cayenne pepper
1 large egg white
1 teaspoon honey

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450ºF.

Using a fork, poke holes in each asparagus spear.  Toss with a little salt and let stand for 30 minutes on a paper towel to draw out the moisture.

Meanwhile, combine the Parmesan cheese, Panko crumbs, Cayenne pepper, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, and melted butter, and place in a shallow dish.

Using a hand-held mixer, whip egg white and honey together on medium-low speed until foamy.  Increase speed to medium-high and continue to whip until soft peaks form.  Transfer to a second shallow dish.

Dredge each asparagus spear in the egg white and then coat with Parmesan mixture.  Place on an  aluminum foil-lined baking sheet and bake at 450ºF for about 6-7 minutes until bread crumbs are golden brown.




No comments:

Post a Comment