Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Monday, November 11, 2013

Arroz con Pollo and Broccoli Casserole



 
I had chicken breasts I had moved out of the freezer last night, brown rice in the cupboard, and broccoli in the fridge that I wanted to use up.  So I paged through my cookbooks and found these two recipes.   The Arroz con Pollo (Chicken with Rice) recipe was very good--and easy to make!  Best of all, I already had all the ingredients on hand (Instead of a whole chicken, I scaled down the recipe and just used a couple chicken breasts).  I really liked the flavor the saffron imparted on the brown rice.   The Broccoli bake was okay.  I took some liberties with the recipe based on what I had on hand and to scale it down so we didn't have more than one day's worth of leftovers. Overall, it was okay, but I thought it was a little too saucy.  I like cheese and broccoli together, but it needed more broccoli and less of the cheese sauce (I can't believe I'm saying that).

Arroz con Pollo    (2013 Cookbook Challenge)
Adapted from How to Cook Everything
Serves 4

Ingredients:

2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
salt
freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup rice
pinch saffron threads
1&1/2 cups chicken stock
4 small chicken breasts/tenders (~1 to 1&1/2 lbs total)

Directions:
Heat olive oil over medium high heat.  Add onions and a sprinkling of salt and pepper.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions soften and become translucent.   Add the rice and stir until coated with oil, a minute or two.  Sprinkle with the saffron and stir.  Nestle the chicken pieces in the rice, and more salt and pepper, and pour in the stock.  Bring mixture to a boil, then lower heat.  Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed and the chicken is cooked through.

******

Broocoli Casserole   (2013 Cookbook Challenge)
Adapted from Dairyland Seed 100 Years and Still Cooking
Serves 4

Ingredients:
1 head of broccoli, chopped into florets
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 can cream of mushroom soup
2 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons mayo
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs (or crushed Saltine crackers)

Directions:
Mix together the egg, cheese, soup, milk, and mustard in a large bowl.  Add the broccoli and stir to coat.  Transfer to a 2-quart casserole dish.   Toss the Panko and melter butter together.   Sprinkle over the broccoli.  Bake, uncovered, in a 350º oven for 45 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment