Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Friday, March 15, 2013

Shrimp Salad


I decided to make a fast meatless Friday lunch with whatever I happened to have in the freezer/fridge.   I found this recipe in a Cooking Light cookbook and made enough just for myself and omitted the ingredients I didn't have on hand (bacon, avocado, tomato).  It was delicious, but I bet it would have been even better with the extra ingredients.  I liked the dressing for the lettuce. 

Shrimp Cobb Salad  (2013 Cookbook Challenge)
from Cooking Light: The New Way to Cook Light cookbook
Serves 4;  332 calories/serving

Ingredients:
4 bacon slices
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
paprika
freshly ground black pepper
salt
1&1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1&1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 (10-oz) package romaine lettuce
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cup shredded carrots (about 2 carrots)
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
1 ripe peeled avocado, cut into 8 wedges

Directions:
Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp.  Remove bacon from pan; cut into bite-sized pieces.  Wipe pan clean with paper towels.  Sprinkle shrimp with paprika and ground black pepper.  Coat pan with cooking spray and add shrimp.  Cook 2 minutes per side or until done.  Sprinkle with a little salt to taste.

Whisk together the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, lemon juice, oil, and mustard in a large bowl.  Add lettuce and toss to coat.  Arrange lettuce on each of 4 plates.  Top with about 6 shrimp, 1/2 cup tomatoes, 1/4 cup carrot, 1/4 cup corn, 2 avocado wedges, and bacon pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment