Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Friday, January 6, 2012

Persimmon Bread (2012 - Week 1)

2012 Week 1 Mystery Ingredient: Persimmons

After making the Persimmon Pudding, I had extra persimmons that I didn't want to waste, so I made this bread.  I liked it, although I wish I would have taken it out of the oven a few minutes sooner.  Oh well.   It made two loaves, so I'll have to pawn off the second one...

Persimmon Bread
Adapted from James Beard's Persimmon Bread
Makes 2 Loaves

Ingredients:
3&1/2 cups flour
1&1/2  teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2&1/2 cups sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
4 large eggs
2/3 cup Cognac, Bourbon, or Whiskey
2 cups Persimmon puree (may add extra for moister bread)
1-2 cups walnuts (to taste)
1-2 cups raisins (or other fruit, to taste)

Directions:
To prepare the persimmon puree, cut the persimmons lengthwise and scoop out the flesh using a spoon.  Discard the skin and any seeds.  Puree in a food processor or blender.

Sift the first 6 dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.  Make a well in the center and stir in the butter, eggs, liquor, persimmon puree, and then the nuts and raisins.

Grease 2 loaf pans and line the bottom with parchment paper or dust with flour.  Pour mixture into pans and bake at 350 degrees for an hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment