Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Saturday, January 14, 2012

Hummus (2012 - Week 2)

2012 Week 2 Mystery Ingredient: Chickpeas (aka Garbanzo Beans)

This recipe was made at the cooking class I attended at Ripon College.  Everyone else LOVED the hummus, but I just didn't care for it that much.  Maybe I should have spread it on some pita bread instead of eating a spoonful by itself.  I guess I tried TWO new ingredients today--chickpeas and tahini. When I tried a taste of the tahini in the recipe, it wasn't terrible as the chef warned us it might be.  It reminded me of sesame seed peanut butter.  But somehow, I just didn't like the mashed chickpeas. I'm going to try a different recipe using garbanzo beans and see if I like it any better.


Hummus
 
 Sorry about the poor picture quality (taken with my camera phone)
 Ingredients:
1 can (16 oz) chickpeas or garbanzo beans 
1/4 cup liquid from the can of chickpeas
3-5 tablespoons lemon juice (depending on taste)
1&1/2 tablespoons tahini
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra to drizzle as desired


Directions:
Drain chickpeas and reserve liquid.  Combine chickpeas, 1/4 cup of reserved liquid, and remaining ingredients in blender or food processor.  Blend for 3-5 minutes on low until thoroughly mixed and smooth.   Place in serving bowl and drizzle with 1-2 tablespoons olive oil.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment